Pages

Thursday 9 April 2015

When We Two Parted - Joanne's thoughts

When We Two Parted by Lord Byron is probably one of my favourite poems. I'm not really sure why, but it has stuck with me for years and years and I just think it is so beautiful.

Nowhere in the poem does he mention the weather and yet when I read it, I picture this dark, grey, miserable aching setting. The words that he uses are beautiful. In a few simple lines, he describes the pain of a breakup, of doing something shameful to him, and of holding in a secret.

Even in the first few lines, "When we two parted in silence and tears...", that holds so much weight and description in it. For example, in tears shows that it was difficult for the both of them. In the silence, it shows there was nothing else to say, and alludes to the idea that this burden was a secret and they had to carry it alone.

They name thee before me,
A knell to mine ear;
A shudder comes o'er me—
Why wert thou so dear
Another brilliant line! "A knell to mine ear". One of the things during our Europe trip was that those old church bells are unnervingly loud... and beautiful but eerie. What a great metaphor he uses to compare her name. Loud, beautiful but eerie. Agh Byron, You get me.

No comments:

Post a Comment